Town Hall

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

ChurchIn 1949, the new Queen Creek ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints began without a meeting house.  The school district, therefore, allowed the ward to use a barracks building located on the school grounds until a new chapel could be constructed.

Soon after the organization of this ward, it became quite evident that the number 13 was destined to become the lucky number for the ward and its membership.[1]  The bishop was born on a Friday the 13th. The first ward meeting was held on March 13th. Groundbreaking ceremonies for the new chapel were carried out on April 13, 1951, just 13 months to the day from the first meeting of the ward. And, the first meeting in the new building was held on Mother’s Day, Sunday May 13, 1951.

Town HallThe new chapel became a reality through contributions of labor, land and money. One fund raising event attracted statewide attention. The event was a big cotton- picking day on the Earl Brown farm. Services of 14 cotton picking machines were donated to pick 80 acres of cotton in a single day. That day the machines earned $2,600 for the building fund. When dedicated in 1952, the meeting-house building and the adjoining athletic field with its lighting system, plus the landscaping project, represented an investment of approximately $100,000.[2]  The Queen Creek ward held its last meeting in this chapel in March 1989.

On Nov. 7, 1990, the community leaders authorized the purchase of this building for the Town of Queen Creek. The deed was signed in February 1991. Located just south of Ocotillo Road on the west side Ellsworth Road, the stained glass windows in its Council Chambers make this Town Hall very unique.

Excerpts from the following were used for this article:

[1] Dedicatory Souvenir Program, dated June 8, 1952
[2] Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Queen Creek Ward history souvenir, dated December 1980